Windows 10 users are currently facing a blank search box on build 1909
As our team hit the office this morning, we went to play Minesweeper before our work started and search results were blank. At first, we thought it was just the single machine but digging deeper it’s clear to see many users are affected.
As of right now, it seems to be users that have updated to Windows build 1909 and Microsoft has not released any form of a statement of when it will be fixed.
Looking through all forms of online media we came across multiple Reddit threads that also say they are facing the same issue. Users have stated they have multiple machines and all of those that have updated have been affected.
In the meantime, we installed ‘Classic Shell’ which is a 3rd party start menu which is working flawlessly, once an official fix is released we will revert back to the standard start menu.
How to fix search (Temporary Solution)
“To fix Windows Search blank results, simply follow these steps:
- Open Windows Run.
- Type “regedit” to open Windows Registry.
- Click Yes to the prompt asking for administrator permission.
- Navigate to the following path: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Search
- Right-click the Search option.
- Choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Name the new value BingSearchEnabled.
- Double-click the new BingSearchEnabled that you just created
- Change the value to 0 if it’s 1.
- Click OK to continue.
- Now look for ‘CortanaConsent’.
- Double-click CortanaConsent value and change its value data to 0. If you don’t see CortanaConsent value, create it manually.
- Restart the PC. “