It is still uncertain when South African contact sports can return to the training ground.
Nathi Mthethwa, Minister of Sport, Arts and Culture, on Monday published amendments to the government’s Covid 19 sports regulations in the Government Gazette.
In it, the minister instructs sports to confirm, among other things, within the next 14 days how many athletes and officials are “involved” and how many have been tested positive for the virus.
A role player in South African rugby says there is confusion about the need to submit an operational plan to the minister again.
According to the Government Gazette , the plan must be “comprehensive”.
The South African Rugby Union (Saru) has already informed the government at the end of last month of its plans to start training again.
“Sports must ensure that all athletes and officials are tested for the coronavirus before any contact sports can resume,” the new release states.
It is stressed that sports must implement additional precautions before exercises or matches can be held in focal areas.
Rapport reported on Sunday Andisa Ntsila, loose forward of the Cheetahs, is the first professional player in South African rugby tested positive for the coronavirus.
One of the adjustments in the Government Gazette reads: A sport should take full responsibility for its players, officials and employees in the fight to keep Covid-19 in check.
The various sports will be held accountable for any negligence.
Cheetahs coach Hawies Fourie told Johann de Jager on Monday night that they hope to get clarity on the new announcement as soon as possible.
“We announced all our plans more than a week ago (to Saru).”
If contact sports such as rugby, netball, hockey and football have to wait another 14 days for government approval, this will mean that training sessions can only be held at the end of July or perhaps early August.