The Western Cape government will help provinces seeking help with Covid-19, says Prime Minister Alan Winde.
However, on Friday, Winde warned on the DA’s “Coronacast” broadcast on social media that the issue should not be politicized.
Although the Western Cape was the initial focus of coronavirus cases in South Africa, for the time being, the provincial government appears to be in control.
Meanwhile, the Gauteng government has called for stricter regulations to control the virus, while the Eastern Cape health system is under severe pressure.
John Steenhuisen, DA leader, wanted Winde to know how he felt after “complacent” politicians questioned the approach in the DA-controlled Western Cape.
“I have sympathy for the other provinces. These are South Africans and the issue should not be politicized. The Western Cape will help if other provinces seek help, ”says Winde.
He says the provincial government, through its own response to the outbreak, has gained knowledge that it can share with the rest of the country.
According to Winde, new data forecasts show that the first pandemic in the Western Cape will be flatter and longer than previously expected.
This means that the health system will not need as many beds at one time.
Winde says the Western Cape government will now start focusing on other health issues.
“We have to catch up with the TB tests that have been overdue. Our data also shows that there is a big backlog with vaccinations and we do not want a second outbreak of measles. “
He also expressed his concern about funding the national treasury in the Western Cape.
Pres. Cyril Ramaphosa said last month on a visit to the province that the provincial government should not be concerned about spending money in its response to the virus. The president has pledged that Treasury will allocate R3.5 billion to the Western Cape government to cover the budget deficit due to Covid-19.
Winde says the Western Cape has only received R969m from the national government, while it has already spent an extra R5.3bn on the outbreak.
“R20bn has been allocated nationally to fight the virus, but it must be distributed among all provinces. The government must cover our costs. We’re going to fight for that. “
Winde says the provincial government has procured enough protective equipment that should last until the end of the year.