The worst is yet to come for the Eastern Cape, warns the provincial MEC for health.
By Monday, there were a total of 588 reported cases of the coronavirus in this province; 53 more than 24 hours earlier. A total of 25 people have already recovered from Covid-19.
Eastern Cape Health MEC Sindiswa Gomba, in a statement on Tuesday, praised doctors and hospital workers in the province for the increase in the number of people who have recovered from the viral illness to date, saying that figure brings hope.
“This is encouraging news as we work to get the curve (of the infection rate) flat.
“More people will test positive in the future, while the worst is yet to come, but our dedicated workers are ready, willing and able to handle the outbreak,” says Gomba.
She also called for more people to be tested for the virus, so more people could get treatment.
While the province is currently treating 57 people in various hospitals for Covid-19, 14 of the 16 residents of the Bankies settlement in Emalahleni Municipality were discharged from Glen Gray Provincial Hospital this past weekend.
This group of residents had previously tested positive for the virus after presumably contracting it while attending a local funeral.
The 14 who were discharged spent 11 days in hospital, after which they tested negative. The remaining two residents will be quarantined for seven days and treated in hospital.
“These (people who have) recovered prove again what we said – there may not be a vaccine yet, but testing positive is not a death sentence,” Gomba said in the statement.
The provincial health department, meanwhile, will continue distributing protected equipment to hospital workers on Tuesday after receiving about 1.5 million masks and 200,000 gloves on Friday.
Gomba said the districts and hospitals with the highest number of positive cases are prioritized.
The Nelson Mandela Bay metro (276 cases) received 300,000 masks on Monday, while Chris Hani District Municipality (87 cases) and Joe Gqabi District Municipality (two cases) received 120,000 and 55,000 masks respectively.
The rest of the districts will receive their stock on Tuesday.
“The availability of protective equipment remains a priority for us, as well as ensuring our staff is protected against Covid-19.
“We will continue to work with local and national providers to provide health care supplies and to distribute them evenly to all our facilities.”