SASSA has responded to the controversy circulating on Social Media this Friday after stats reveal that only a small amount of people have been paid their grant.
SASSA has announced that the system is complicated and the correct measures have to be put into place to ensure that people do not apply twice and receive double payment.
The system went ‘live’ last Friday and since then they have revealed that only ten people have received their payment.
SASSA’s CEO Busisiwe Memela-Khambula confirmed that ten people have been paid their grants as of last Friday.
“What’s important to highlight once again, once we receive the data we need to ensure there are no duplications, what we are finding people are applying in all the different channels. We check for duplications by using ID, we found that of the 4.9m applications received, 2.6m were not duplicated.”
“We need to make sure the people that qualify are the people not receiving any other grant, what we then do is run it through our system to check people receiving grants currently, we then run it through UIF, to ensure people are not double-dipping” said Khambula
Khambula has said once they have finalized and cleaned the data a further check is sent over to SARS to ensure the people applying are not already receiving a salary.
The process is without a doubt lengthy and complex and Khambula confirms that this is the reason why it has taken this long to send out payments, of the 10 people who have received they were the test users.