More than 1,000 teachers and more than 500 pupils have been tested positive for the coronavirus over the past three weeks. The Department of Basic Education said in a statement Saturday that 1,169 teachers and 523 pupils were tested positive. 775 schools were also temporarily closed over the past three weeks and reopened after disinfection.
The Western Cape has the most teachers (557) and the Eastern Cape most pupils (270) who contracted the virus.
“The department encourages principals to ensure that the health protocols for managing the virus are strictly adhered to,” the statement said.
The prevalence of confirmed Covid-19 cases in school communities by province is as follows:
• Northern Cape: Nine teachers and one pupil tested positive for Covid-19 over the past three weeks; Eleven schools were temporarily closed and reopened after disinfection.
• Mpumalanga: Eight teachers, seven pupils; 10 schools
• Limpopo: Ten teachers, three pupils; three schools
• North West: 22 teachers, six pupils; 14 schools
• Free State: 13 teachers, 31 pupils; 12 schools
• Eastern Cape: 271 teachers, 270 pupils; 154 school
• Gauteng: 188 teachers, 58 pupils; 176 school
• KwaZulu-Natal: 63 teachers, 13 pupils; 63 school
• Western Cape: 557 teachers; 134 pupils; 332 school