Schools in the Northern Cape reopened on June 8, says Mac Jack, the province’s MEC for education.
This announcement on Thursday came after criticism from parents and education circles that schools in the province are not ready to safely return pupils on June 1, the day on which Angie Motshekga, Minister of Basic Education, said gr. 7s and matrices nationwide should not return to school.
Motshekga also said teachers should return to schools as early as May 25, but the South African Democratic Teachers Union (Sadou) has instructed its members not to return on May 25.
Jack said Thursday that principals and management teams should now officially report on June 1 and get the schools ready. Teachers will return on June 3 and pupils on June 8.
The Northern Cape has 562 schools with a total of 306,276 pupils and 10,047 teachers.
Jack said a third of the administrative staff had already returned to their positions from May 11.
Some staff members are trained to do daily screenings.
All the departmental offices were cleaned and disinfected. Offices have been reorganized so that people can maintain the safe distance of 1.5 m from each other at all times.
All office workers receive the personal protection equipment.
Jack says the department is currently conducting an audit to determine how many staff members are suffering from underlying illnesses and are 60 years and older.
Principals and management teams must ensure that the regulations are applied and the measures are complied with.
The feeding schemes will resume on the first day of school.