The Namibian government made a statement on Saturday. In the statement, the government confirms two Covid-19 cases.
The statement further reads “The health of Namibians is the first priority. Appropriate precautionary measures must be taken. To protect Namibians from being affected by this virus:
- The independence celebrations that were scheduled for independence Stadium are called off. However, the swearing-in ceremony will take place at State House.
- The financial outlay for Independence Celebrations will be divered to fight against the Coronavirus.
- The Namibian Government is suspending inbound and outbound travel to and from Qatar, Ethiopia, and Germany with immediate effect for a period of 30 days.
- All big gatherings are suspended for a period of 30 days.
- Lockdown of Windhoek Gymnasium with immediate effect for a period of two weeks.
- Suspension of all travels by Namibian government officials, including State-Owned Enterprises.
The Interministerial-Task Force whose members have joined me here will communicate additional measures the statement reads.
Queried about the location of the Spanish couple, Shangula asked for their privacy to be respected and said they are being kept under quarantine. Shangula said the couple were tested at the airport but did not show any symptoms.— The Namibian (@TheNamibian) March 14, 2020
Video: Okeri Ngutjinazo pic.twitter.com/aW8y3c2JXl