Although Gauteng experienced some obstacles this week with protective equipment not delivered to schools in Tshwane, Education MEC Panyaza Lesufi is still confident that schools will be ready to welcome pupils on Monday.
“We’re almost there. Thursday and Friday we will complete the picture. We want to assure parents that we will not put their children’s lives at risk. We put a lot of effort into it. ”
He also says the Gauteng Education Department is consulting with the provincial command center about the open day the department promised parents before gr. 7- and gr. 12 pupils return Monday.
During the open day, which is planned for May 31, parents will be able to see the safety measures.
Lesufi says he doesn’t want schools’ protective equipment to run out when parents visit schools in large numbers. He had earlier told Netwerk24 that it was considering hosting the open day online because of fears of contagion when so many parents were visiting schools.
“The command center will guide us. If they say that’s right, we’ll go ahead with it. However, schools must also be creative, ”Lesufi said Wednesday during a visit to Mabuya Secondary School in Daveyton, Ekurhuleni.
Lesufi visited the school to determine his readiness.
“I give the school ten out of ten.”
Everyone’s temperature is measured at the entrance and a register is filled in from there. The school also made on-site protocol announcements reminding staff and pupils of the safety precautions. There are also isolation classrooms to which a staff member or pupil will be brought immediately if symptoms are observed.
Lesufi says school management is back at schools in the province and by Friday teachers will also be at their jobs. “Protective equipment first, then teachers.”
He visits private schools on Thursday to determine their readiness and on Friday he meets the 7,000 youth who have been appointed to work in Gauteng’s “youth brigade” that will help ensure that coronavirus regulations are complied with at schools.