It is clear that the government has no intention of scrapping the controversial e-toll system in Gauteng.
“A solution to e-toll must be found as a matter of urgency,” said Fred Nel, the DA’s spokesman for roads and transport in Gauteng.
The transport minister, Fikile Mbalula, announced on Thursday that the deadline for making an announcement about the e-toll system has been extended to give interest groups more time to deliberate.
“Mbalula gave no indication of when it will happen,” Nel said.
Gauteng Prime Minister David Makhura said during a question-and-answer session earlier this month in the legislature that there is no need to declare an intergovernmental dispute.
“It is clear that the ANC government has absolutely no plans to abolish e-tolls in Gauteng. The DA has always been opposed to the implementation of e-toll, as it is an unfair tax burden on our already overburdened residents, ”Nel said.
If a small percentage of the fuel charge had been used for the project from the beginning, it could have already been paid off. “Instead, the fuel levy was used for lifebuoys for mismanaged state-owned enterprises.
“If the collection contract had not been renewed, it could have saved Sanral more than R600m a year, which could pay off the e-toll loans. The DA will continue to put pressure on the government to find a way to get rid of the e-toll system. “
Pres. Cyril Ramaphosa had earlier appointed a task force consisting of Mbalula, Tito Mboweni, the Minister of Finance, and David Makhura, Gauteng Prime Minister, to find a solution to the crisis over the e-toll system.