The Western Cape Department of Health on Sunday welcomed Cuban doctors who assist in the fight against Covid-19 in Cape Town.
These doctors are part of a group of more than 200 medical workers and specialists sent to the country under a Cuba-South Africa agreement.
They were sponsored by Nomafrench Mbombo, MEC for Health, and Dr. Keith Cloete, head of department, welcomed downtown Waal Street.
Prime Minister Alan Winde said in a statement that doctors joined thousands of dedicated doctors, nurses and health workers on the front line of the pandemic in the province.
The provincial government has also called on people with medical experience to make them available as volunteers and has already received more than 1,000 applications.
“We will approach them to strengthen our health services when needed over the coming weeks and months,” says Winde.
By 13:00 on Sunday, there were 13,696 confirmed cases of Covid-19 in the Western Cape, of which 6,950 had already been recovered.
Another 24 people were killed, bringing the death toll to 300.
A total of 121 072 tests were conducted in the province.
569 people are treated in the hospital and 151 people are in the emergency room.
According to Winde, more than 80% of Covid-19 cases have already recovered in Witzenberg, where the targeted focal plan was implemented as a preliminary project.
In Khayelitsha, 60% of Covid-19 cases reported have recovered and in Tygerberg district, 56% have recovered.
The ANC in the Western Cape legislature on Sunday also said it was delighted by the assistance of the Cuban medical brigade who arrived.
“The Western Cape has the highest rate of infections, hospitalization and deaths on the continent and needs all possible assistance,” said a statement by ANC spokesperson Rachel Windvogel on health in the Western Cape.
“Hospital and emergency units are overflowing and staff are overworked. The ANC is grateful to the selfless Cubans who are helping the world fight the coronavirus. “