Port Elizabeth police are searching for a group of robbers who attack people at the Arlington landfill on Victory Drive.
At least three people were robbed at the landfill in separate incidents last week. In all three cases, a group of four or five armed robbers overpowered the unsuspecting victims while throwing garbage at the landfill.
The latest attacks come after a spate of robberies in the landfill in January. Six suspected robbers were then arrested and linked to 17 complaints, after which the attacks subsided.
Col. Police spokesman Priscilla Naidu warned people using the landfill Monday to be vigilant when dumping garbage there.
She said the latest incident was reported on Friday after a 34-year-old man was robbed at the landfill around 4 p.m.
It is alleged five men jumped on the victim’s bakkie as he drove into the landfill.
Naidu said the victim was unaware that the group of men were not official workers at the landfill.
The men allegedly helped the victim unload his garbage before they pulled out a firearm and knife and robbed him.
Naidu confirmed similar robberies at the landfill were reported recently but declined to disclose the exact number. She says police suspect it is the same group involved.
“The police are encouraging people to be vigilant and not accept help from anyone. The police are also asking people to leave all valuables at home (when they visit the landfill). ”
According to Naidu, security officials are present at the landfill and the community is encouraged to first report to the security guards’ office before entering the landfill.
It has also been reported that fears of residents using the Hillwacht landfill in Uitenhage in the Nelson Mandela Bay metro. Residents say the dumps were last cleaned in March, while there are a group of 15 people who apparently stand around and intimidate people who want to dump. Some of them are armed with knives and pangas.
Municipal spokeswoman Mamela Ndamase said the metro would provide feedback on issues surrounding these landfills by Tuesday.