The urgent interdict granted by the High Court in Johannesburg against the Johannesburg Minibus Taxi Association will hopefully put an end to the taxi war in the city.
Jacob Mamabolo, Gauteng MEC for transport, expressed this hope in a statement on Wednesday. The interdict was obtained due to the Johannesburg Minibus Taxi Association blocking the Johannesburg Bara Qwaqwa Transport Services Taxi Association “over the barrel of a gun” to use the taxi rank on the corner of Lewds and King George streets.
Mamabolo says the situation has been going on since July 1 when gunmen drove out the Johannesburg Bara Qwaqwa Transport Services Taxi Association and took over their stand.
According to the interdict, which was granted on Tuesday, the Johannesburg Minibus Taxi Association is ordered not to “prevent the Johannesburg Bara Qwaqwa Transport Services Taxi Association” from providing their services, or from intimidating or interfering with their operations ” .
Mamabolo said they were forced to obtain the interdict because attempts to arrange a meeting with the taxi associations and even get a mediator to solve the problems came to nothing.
Theo Malele, spokesman for the National Taxi Alliance (NTA), said on Wednesday they welcomed any attempt to curb violence in the transport industry. “We welcome any attempt to stabilize the industry. This is in line with the agreement reached by the National Taxi Alliance with the Gauteng Department of Transport to stop taxi violence. We fully support it. ”
The NTA and the South African National Taxi Council (Santaco) signed the agreement earlier this week in which they pledged to end the ongoing taxi violence in their own ranks.