The Pretoria High Court will hear the application for private nursery schools to open on Monday.
This application by Solidarity’s Social Workers Guild and its School Support Center (SOS) was postponed last week to Tuesday. The judge wanted to wait for the ruling in Mmusi Maimane and One South Africa’s court application that schools should remain closed.
However, no ruling has yet been made in the case and the application for kindergarten has since been moved to Wednesday.
The regulations currently allow for early childhood development centers (ECDs) to reopen on July 6 if they graduate. R and therefore meet the definition of a “school” as set out in the Schools Act.
The Department of Social Development has said on several occasions private nursery schools should not reopen at level 3 of the restriction. Daymothers, playgroups and after-school centers are also among the institutions to which children may not return.
The SOS and social workers’ guild ask that ECDs, which are not at all gr. R offers, also allowed to reopen on July 6.
The SA Childcare Association, which applied to apply for court as a friend, said in a post on its Facebook page on Monday that ECDs are in a very difficult position and their money is so depleted that the end of the month is a nightmare.
“We desperately need a positive outcome in the application or the Minister of Social Development, Lindiwe Zulu, will make an announcement within the next few days.
“Closures, retrenchments, parenting dilemmas and children who are suffering are increasingly becoming a reality. We see a lot of movement towards the reopening of ECDs by the Department of Social Development, but still no date. The next few days are critically important. ”
Application for school meals also in court
The Department of Basic Education will have to explain to the High Court in Pretoria on Thursday why the National School Nutrition Scheme (NSNP) is now only gr. 12 and gr. 7 pupils give meals.
The pressure group Equal Education (EE) and the governing bodies of two schools in Limpopo have filed the application against the department and its provincial department.
The application relates to the NSNP, which, under normal circumstances, provides meals to about nine million students daily. According to EE, this is some students’ only meal of the day.
The program was discontinued on March 18 due to the state of restriction and now only provides meals to the gr. 12 and gr. 7 pupils who returned to the schools on June 8.
EE and the schools ask the court for a declaratory order that it is the government’s duty to ensure that all pupils who qualify for the NSNP are entitled to the daily meal provided by the program, even if they cannot return to school.
The pressure group says in a statement the impact of the suspension of the nutrition scheme is devastating.
They also apply for a structural order that the national department and provincial departments must provide a plan or program within five days of the order being issued to ensure that pupils receive a meal daily and that progress reports are sent to the court.
“It is a shame that the national and provincial education departments have to be dragged to court to ensure the delivery of school meals. The NSNP is fundamental to supporting children’s ability to learn and criticizing the right to basic education. “