Health Minister Dr. Zweli Mkhize on Monday released the latest Covid-19 statistics for South Africa, revealing that 23,615 confirmed cases of COVID-19 have been in South Africa of which 11,917 have already recovered.
The World Health Organisation has suggested that South Africa wait a little longer before considering going to Level 3 of the lockdown.
“The WHO tells us to wait a little longer, but we have to move on. This is because we experience crises with people who are hungry, income and other social activities. We will not be able to reduce the infections until we reopen all these activities. However, there will still be strict restrictions on activities such as funerals and music festivals. ”
According to Dr Zweli Mkhize the figures have increased by 25%.
“We’ve done more than 600,000 tests and put more than 13 million people through screening tests. We have 11 917 people who have already recovered in the country. We believe we are now dealing with internal infections. If we had not had the restriction, we would have reached the figures much earlier. ” says Mkhize
He said they saw 25 percent increase last week.
“The Western Cape had the highest increases and Gauteng the two most. Most deaths also come from the Western Cape and the Eastern Cape. The massive increases do not mean it happens in one day. This may be due to the delay with test results of several days. We will announce it on the day once we have verified the results. We already have a big backlog with the results of tests.” says Mkhize