This morning there had been two reported Coronavirus deaths in the Western Cape, at this time health officials have reverted their calculations and the total deaths in South Africa are now “1”.
Dr. Zwelini Mkhize, Health Minister posted on Social Media this morning with “These two deaths occurred in the Western Cape. One at a Private Hospital and the other at a Public Hospital.”
The National Institute for Communicable Diseases (NICD) in the last hour has released a statement that the first patient who was 48 years old and female had tested positive for the virus and her death was from Coronavirus, however, the female was also suffering from underlying health conditions “pulmonary embolism”.
The second patient is said to have been a suspected death to Coronavirus however this has now changed after receiving the test results at 17:20. The 28-year old female had been suffering from respiratory distress when admitted to the hospital so the assumption was made that this was the result of coronavirus, upon arrival at the hospital it has been said she was hypoxic. She required to be intubated and transferred to hospital and upon arrival at the ICU, she was declared dead.
Her laboratory results have since been received at 17:20 and were confirmed negative. Her immediate family was also tested and they are also negative. She is therefore no longer considered a #COVID19 case. As such there is only 1 confirmed #COVID19 death in SA.— NICD (@nicd_sa) March 27, 2020