1505 People have tested positive so far, which is 43 new cases from yesterday.
Health Minister Mkhize emphasizes that this figure was only obtained by the reactive approach that has been followed so far.
The government will now start testing more proactively according to the Minister.
He also reports that two new deaths occurred in KwaZulu-Natal, on April 1 and 2, respectively. They were in hospitals in Durban.
One is an 80-year-old male, and the other is an 80-year-old female. Both cases did not have any travel history.
Mkhize says he also wants to raise the issue of the capacity of hospital beds. It needs to be increased. The number of infections is curbed by containment measures, as well as the ban on international flights, the minister believes.
He has already visited Gauteng, KwaZulu-Natal and the Free State.
He says scientific research by the Western Cape government shows that the pattern of infection is changing.
Infections are now being transmitted within South Africa’s borders, creating new problems.
According to Mkhize, South Africa is now at a point where many more tests need to be done, especially in the informal settlements and townships. Where testing is done will also be guided by infection focal data.
Mkhize says he approached Ramaphosa to ask for reinforcements from several countries, including China and Cuba.