Health Minister Dr Zweli Mkhize said on Twitter that there are now 1353 Covid-19 cases in the country. The Health Minister said that a total of 39,500 test have been concluded.
See the Health Minister speak live:
Update : 1353 confirmed cases. Total number of tests 39 500.#COVID19— Dr Zweli Mkhize (@DrZweliMkhize) March 31, 2020
The Health Minister also made the following statements on Twitter:
- Huge pressure on lab services to test. We picked up backlogs in system. We moved tests to national lab services. By Friday we cleared 4000 lab tests. Watching the system for backlogs.
- Closing of ports of entry is a factor. Up to last week 70% of positive cases were passengers coming into the country
- We are changing the strategy to look at additional means of testing.
- We won’t go to areas at the same time. This morning Gauteng already started this programme. I will be visiting other provinces
- Noticed a trend in past week. Rate of increase is not as high as anticipated. We are observing the trend. We anticipated 4000-5000 but we haven’t reached that
- We will see more and more mobile vans. We want to be ahead of the curve. Patients are recovering well. Most patients are stable. Numbers in hospital also increasing. We have 4 deaths now
- Working hard to ensure health workers are protected. Also working hard on protective gear
- Scaling up of testing might increase number of infections. Remains serious and a challenge as we go to cold winter months
- Step for lockdown was important. Remember hygiene and stay at home. Reduction of traffic in trains and taxis has helped contain spread. We are picking up positive cases but quarantine means infection won’t spread
NewsliteSA will update this article when more information becomes available.
Download the NewsliteSA Android application to stay updated with Covid-19 in South Africa: CLICK HERE