The National Institute of Communicable Diseases (NIOS) on Wednesday refuted “false information” circulated on Twitter that a person in the Western Cape died of the new coronavirus (2019 AD).
“We take note of false information posted on Twitter by user @ MarkSmit222 that there is a COVID-19 death in the Western Cape,” Nios senior spokeswoman Sinenhlanhla Jimoh said in a statement.
“We can confirm that there has been no positive case of COVID-19 or any deaths so far in South Africa. We urge the public to reject such rumors and discourage the dissemination of false information. ”
Jimoh said if a positive case is reported in South Africa, official information will be confirmed by the National Department of Health, the World Health Organization and Nios.
South Africa remains on high alert for any suspected cases that could come in through its borders, she said, but no positive cases have been recorded so far.
“A total of 63 tests for COVID-19 were conducted up to and including February 12, 2020 and all were negative. The Nios can confirm that South Africa does not yet have a confirmed case of COVID-19. “