11 state hospitals across the country are ready to treat people infected with the coronavirus (2019 AD) if needed, says Health Minister Zweli Mkhize.
He reiterated Wednesday in Sandringham, Johannesburg, that South Africans have no cause for concern and that authorities are doing everything possible to keep the virus out of the country.
So far, no cases have been reported in South Africa.
Dr. Interior Minister Aaron Motsoaledi, the World Health Organization (WHO) joined Mkhize on Wednesday to announce the country’s plans, which include prevention, detection and treatment measures.
Motsoaledi said at access points such as ports, airports and border posts, access control is extremely important to detect and prevent people with the virus from spreading.
He says all visitors from Asia, and especially China, are being investigated here to ensure they do not have the virus. This is done as follows:
* Visitor fever is measured. Any tourist who looks sick is also being investigated. If the patient is suspected to have the virus, Nios will be notified immediately.
* Health officials inspect every international ship or aircraft to determine if anyone on board is ill. If a tourist becomes ill on the way to South Africa, officials will notify the port or airport. The person will be examined upon arrival. The contact details of everyone who has been in contact with this tourist are obtained to follow up if they show any symptoms later.
* Additional staff were deployed at OR Tambo Airport. Any tourist coming from China must complete a questionnaire.
NewsliteSA earlier reported that Chinese passengers arrived in Cape Town.