The Western Cape government should consider restoring the province to level 5 of containment, says the ANC in the province.
The situation around the pandemic in the province is deteriorating and special attention should be paid to focal points, the party said in a statement issued on Friday night.
That statement replaces a previous statement on the issue that was issued earlier that evening, but was withdrawn shortly thereafter.
The ANC believes that the province should be urgently placed at level 5 so that infections slow down.
Danville Smith, shadow minister for local government, said: “The DA government must accept that half of the people infected in South Africa come from the Western Cape. area. “
The police and army members should be strongly present everywhere.
The ANC realizes that it will seriously hurt the economy and education in the province to be put back on level 5, but “it should rather be taken now before it’s too late”.
“The congestion of people walking or exercising in the mornings is also a concern. This could lead to more infections in the province.”
The ANC in the Western Cape has just sent this: “Dear All. Please be informed that the statement in which MPL Danville Smith calls for a return to Level 5 lockdown in the Western Cape is hereby being withdrawn.” https://t.co/zDVtuMpHM1— Waldimar Pelser (@waldimar) May 8, 2020