The ANC in the Western Cape is demanding the heads of Dan Plato, Mayor of Cape Town, and its Mayor for Safety and Security, JP Smith, after an 18-year-old girl was allegedly raped at the Strandfontein sports ground in Cape Town where homeless people are housed .
The ANC also demands that this shelter, where some 1 400 homeless people remain during the state of containment, should be closed immediately.
Col. Western Cape Police spokesman Andrè Traut said a 36-year-old man was arrested after the rape and will appear in Mitchell Plain Magistrate’s Court on Tuesday.
Traut said the victim said the incident happened on Wednesday night, but did not report it until Friday night.
Thandi Makasi, ANC whip in the Cape Town metro, says Plato and Smith should be held responsible for the rape.
“The two must resign immediately. The site must be closed because no one can be forced to stay in such dire conditions. “
According to the ANC, it would never have happened if the DA-controlled city council had not insisted so hard on leaving homeless people in Strandfontein.
“Instead of using the many amenities in the city, such as community halls or unused buildings, men, women and children were thrown together without consulting the Strandfontein community.” However, Plato says the city is doing everything possible to ensure people are safe there.
The mayor said the city’s law enforcement officers responded immediately after allegations of sexual assault earlier this weekend.
“We are working with the police’s Family Violence, Child Protection and Sexual Offenses unit to investigate the allegation.”
Plato says he finds it extremely disturbing that some political parties seize the opportunity to use people’s lives as a political game.
“We cannot provide any details now, as the matter is being investigated. I called on the police to complete their investigation urgently so that we can provide the facts to the public of Cape Town and not provide incorrect information. “
Plato says the Strandfontein shelter was built in accordance with the disaster regulations published by the national government.
Plato says despite everything being said, no one is being held on the premises against their will.
“The Metro Council will do everything possible to ensure the well-being of the people on site, in accordance with the disaster declaration regulations.”
Cameron Dougmore, ANC leader in the provincial legislature, says the camp should be closed.
“The city has unused buildings and community halls that can be used to house homeless people at the time of containment,” he said.