The government will continue its strategy of keeping consumers accountable for the cost of maintaining Gauteng’s highways.
Finance Minister Tito Mboweni said on Wednesday during his interim budget speech that the offending e-toll project will continue and consumers will be held responsible for the costs, with payments now being tightened and regulated.
He further said that it is because of consumers who fail to support this project that the province’s roads are deteriorating further. “We can’t maintain the network.”
“I encourage South Africa to please settle their accounts. We need to establish a culture of payment because the government’s services can only continue if all consumers, who can pay, do pay, ”he added.
The lack of payments has also put further pressure on the South African National Roads Agency Limited (Sanral), which has suffered a loss of R1 billion every year since 2014-15. According to the National Treasury’s interim budget, the agency is not making enough money from the e-toll portfolio to cover its operational costs or pay off debt.
In the medium term, Treasury expects Sanral to repay R10.7bn of its debt and R10.8bn in interest to the government. The government had earlier provided the agency with a R38.9 billion guarantee facility, of which R30.3 billion was used by March this year.