Iran launched a missile attack on military bases in Iraq in the early hours of Wednesday morning.
The attack was carried out in retaliation for the US airstrike last Friday.
Tehran fired more than 12 ballistic missiles from Iran at 1:30 (local time) to at least two military bases in Iraq, the US military said.
Multiple news sources reported the incident:
Multiple missiles have been launched at Iraq from Iran targeting American military facilities, according to a U.S. official. https://t.co/s98JSitN88— Minh Ngo (@minhtngo) January 8, 2020
Purported footage of missile attack on Assad US base from FARS News Agency. pic.twitter.com/DjE8FiRPhO
Iran has launched a missile attack on air bases housing US forces in Iraq— BBC News (World) (@BBCWorld) January 8, 2020
Two air bases were struck in retaliation to the US killing of General Qasem Soleimani
It's unclear whether there have been any casualtieshttps://t.co/7BJailTvWA pic.twitter.com/FnFpSHuKn7
American president, Donald Trump responded on Twitter:
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
Pentagon spokesman Jonathan Hoffman said Wednesday morning they were assessing the damage in Iraq after Iran attacked the army bases.
“We are monitoring the situation and deciding how we will respond. We will then take the necessary steps to keep American workers, partners and allies safe in the area, ”says Hoffman.
Reuters reports US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and Defense Minister Mark Esper went to the White House after the attack, but there is no clarity as to whether America will attack again.